Monday, May 16, 2016

Feature Artist - Phoenix Dawn Thomas


Good Day Artists,

Please find herewith our next artist:

Name: Phoenix Dawn Thomas, but I like to go by Phoenix Dawn. 



I dabbled in art in high school, but my high school in Oregon was tiny and had no art program. I decided to go to boarding school to give me the opportunity to explore my creative side and prepare me for college. There I learned about photography, which I fell in love with, and I got to experiment in the darkroom. I also taught myself photoshop which allowed me to create digital art, which is my main avenue of work. I share my work with the world through Deviantart.com. Art was always something I did for fun, as an emotional outlet and mental exploration, but I really "got into" the art world when my work was discovered by the Mahlstedt Gallery in NY last year, but it has always been a part of my life, and I have always been inspired by the many artists I know. 

My hometown is Richland Oregon, a town of fewer than 200 people. It is about an hour away from Baker city, which is an artsy community. 

My main medium is Digital Art through image composites (photo manipulation) but I also often draw, and do photography. I would like to learn more about watercolor painting, but I am not naturally gifted in painting on canvas. However, I love painting on people's faces turning them into beautiful faerie folk and glorious monsters. 

My dream project would have to do with eyes. I would want to take photos of all sorts of eyes, people of all different nationalities, animals, engineered (lenses) and such, and then manipulate the photos. The end product would be a wall of pictures showing the evolution of eyes being transformed into surreal and fantasy works of art, showing the process in my mind of how eyes open up brand new fantasy worlds whenever I look into them. 

I often fall in love with my newest pieces, so I am going to choose three works of art, one from the beginning of my explorations, one from the middle, and one from the end. 

Beginning: "Believe" a photography piece. This piece (I attached these) was one of my first photography pieces, and it resulted in what I developed into my logo/signature.



Middle: "Sweet Dreams" Is one of my first photomanipulations I created from an eye. It is a very emotional piece, reflecting the eye of an adult remembering the sweet dreams of childhood. 



Recent: "Revelations" is a photomanipulation of a lioness, which was a experiment for me to try to branch out from my eye manipulations. It ended up being an image showing a connection to my religious background and the beauty of kindness and guidance.


Four artists come to mind when I think of who I am inspired by. Kyle Thompson Photography, Alex Stoddard Photography, Judas Art (Paul), and Christina Otero. 

Contact Information:

Email: Dawn.phoenixm@yahoo.com


Please be sure to check out Phoenix Dawn's links above.

Old Woods Artists Gatherings


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and inspirational. Thank you for sharing your self through your art.

    ReplyDelete